Wednesday 29 June 2011

"Tatay" - Dr. Fernando Bautista



Delma, at our last lunch on 8 May, mentioned that her mentor was Dr. Bautista.

Dr. Fernando G. Bautista, has always been addressed "Tatay," and Mrs. Rosa C. Bautista, was always addressed "Nanay,"- appellations that depict the familial atmosphere and culture that have always pervaded the University of Baguio.

It also became the title of his 8-chapter biography, available online, “Tatay, a biography of Dr. Fernando G. Bautista”.

His story will certainly touch hearts, with the “rags to riches” path he took alongside with his beloved wife, Mrs. Rosa Bautista. The biography is full of beautiful and touching stories of how he overcame many obstacles along his way, starting from his early life in Tondo to the time that he became President of the University of Baguio and his other major accomplishment, a pillar of Philippine athletics: he has attended every Asian and Olympic Games event to the extent that he could, in his lifetime.

This is one of the excerpts:

“I have faith in the number 8. I was born in 1908. I graduated in 1928. Nanay and I were married on April 18, 1938. I have eight children. My first name and surname each have eight letters. Baguio Tech was founded in 1948. I was installed as president of the University on a December 8…

http://tatay.ubaguio.edu/?page_id=18

No comments: