Monday 21 June 2010

Father's Day



Fathers provide friendship, fiendship, lessons, strength, lots of humor, love and all mushy things on earth.

They taught us how to use a bolo safely, hold the ladder firmly when picking fruit, yell at us for not cleaning the yard thoroughly, criticize our driving, vehemently oppose our first boyfriend because of his hair, ethnic/ tribal background or the first girlfriend because she had on too much makeup or funny skirt, know about our “secret trip” but did not report it to the Boss (Mother), took us downtown to see the wonders of the Christmas décor, always seemed to have some emergency funds available when the Boss says there's none, poke us hard at the side to keep us from swaying at the pew while half-listening to the sermon.

To our fathers who have gone on to the Great Place in the Sky, we honor them with prayers and re-telling the good memories to our kids. To those who are fathers, we are grateful that our kids remember and put in a time slot in their buzzzzy lives to have dinner with, have a drink or two or three with, send an e-Card, clear their calendars to be home for a few hours/days. For these, we are truly, truly blessed and grateful.

Yo kids out there: wouldn’t it be nice if everyday was like Father’s Day?

Dad's Day: Let's see what Rudy the Dad has to tell us, clearing out his appointments for the day.


The Rhovia clan will take me out to dinner. I hope she made reservations. She always wants to treat me to a fancy place, without calling a-head of time. I have to butt in with the maitre'd before they let us in. She thinks she can buy her way in anytime.

Yesterday, Vincent took me out - exclusive "father-and-son" lunch - mom, gf, siblings and women not allowed. We seldom have the chance to talk one-on-one. It was a five-hour ordeal, though, before we parted ways. He got me home "dead-drunk" and straight to bed - naturally I skipped dinner. The first restaurant we went to, just had one waiter and a bus boy, serving 6 tables. So he walks out of there, anticipating the lack of service he wants. We went to another restaurant - he looks at the menu - and again, we walk! Not enough menu selection that caters to his taste. So I told him that this is not the "city." Lunch on a Saturday, small laid-back town and catering to a few brunchers: these restaurants don't provide fancy menus and a staff full of waiters. They reserve this kind of service for dinner. Now, he realizes the truth to this. Is he ADD, or just plain stupid.

He talked about his new business ventures; and how he can turn it around in a few years. . . and some other topics, I cannot recall . . and . . . yaddi, yaddi, yadda. I was quietly, sipping the wine with an empty stomach , not really listening - but constantly nodding . That whole time, I was eagerly waiting for him to come out with his punchline - "Are you interested in investing . . . . . your money?" That was a miracle it didn't come up.

Several days ago, Victoria called to wish me H. Father's Day. I said, "It's only Tuesday, how come you're calling sooooo early in the week????" She jokingly replied, "Can I not call you any time to wish you a happy ..F&%#.. father's day!?" What a smart ass! She tried to rationalize her call from North Carolina to ask me if I could use a gift card to use in the"city" or a check in the mail? She added that I would not have time for a conversation on Father's Day with all the activities going on. She's afraid I'll not be available to answer the land-line at home, and that I don't carry a mobile phone.

I doubt if I get a call from Rhodora!

Gotta go . . . . . . this correspondence may throw me off my day's schedule. Talk to you soon.

No comments: